Re: pg_hba.conf & Dynamic IP addresses - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: pg_hba.conf & Dynamic IP addresses
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 09:49:31 +0200,
  Michael Mattox <michael.mattox@verideon.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to configure the pg_hba.conf to allow access from a dynamic
> IP address?  Or is it possible to allow ANY IP address?  I tried using both
> my domain name and *.*.*.* and neither work.  I have a dynamic IP address
> with my DSL at home and I'd really like to find a way for me to be able to
> connect to postgres.  I need to have a program running that connects to the
> database so editing pg_hba.conf by hand isn't an option.  I've searched the
> mailing list archives and the newsgroups and although this question has been
> asked a few times there has never been a firm response.

If all of the clients are running on the same machine you should just use
domain socket connections and turn off network connections.

If you don't want to to restrict access by IP address you can use 0.0.0.0
as the net mask.

If you only want access allowed from your local network (or for some reason
want to use a network connection even though you are connecting from the
same machine) run the service on a private IP address. For connections
only from the same machine you can use 127.0.0.1. If you have a local
network, then you can use the IP address from the network interface
that talks to your local network instead of the one for your DSL connection.