Fwd: Re: Synchronization issues with pg73jdbc3.jar and pg73jdbc2ee.jar - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Gerlits András
Subject Fwd: Re: Synchronization issues with pg73jdbc3.jar and pg73jdbc2ee.jar
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Taken from: http://www.jguru.com/faq/view.jsp?EID=721

Dirty read:

"Quite often in database processing, we come across the situation wherein
one transaction can change a value, and a second transaction can read this
value before the original change has been committed or rolled back. This is
known as a dirty read scenario because there is always the possibility that
the first transaction may rollback the change, resulting in the second
transaction having read an invalid value."

This is exactly the thing that should not happen with my code, but it does.

The idea was to prove that the synchronization is unstable when it comes to
serializable transactions. I might just push myself into a deeper hole, but
as far as I know, the whole idea of serializable transaction handling is to
be able to acquire an exclusive access to the needed fields. According to
the JDBC 2.1 javadoc:
(http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.2/docs/api/java/sql/Connection.html#TRAN
SACTION_SERIALIZABLE)

"Dirty reads, non-repeatable reads and phantom reads are prevented."

This should mean that I shouldn't be seeing the stack-trace you saw too.

Regards.
Andras
(Which is my first name, it's all mixed up in Hungarian :))