Re: 7.3.3 prep - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: 7.3.3 prep
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Shridhar,

> I have a question. Why not drum every point release as loud as we can? Does
it
> hurt anyway?
>
> I mean let's do it..

Three reasons:
a) 7.3.3 is basically a bug-fix release, which is not "sexy" in the general
media; we have no new features to report, and no news about 7.4.
b) Our web sites are unstable right now and we are ill-prepared to do any kind
of PR work on the release
c) the big news about 7.3.3 is that there are several bugs in the 7.3.x series
that are not, and will not, be fixed in the 7.3.x series.  This is not the
sort of thing we want to trumpet.

That being said, I think we should begin prep for the 7.4 release cycle *now*,
as we missed the 7.3 deadline last time.

As soon as Robert and Marc have fixed the web site, that is <grin>.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions