Re: context in plpgsql functions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From elein
Subject Re: context in plpgsql functions
Date
List pgsql-general
You can do this with plpython.  There is a brief write up about
it at http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/23.html

There is one trick to it :-)

--elein

On Friday 16 May 2003 11:46, Gianni Mariani wrote:
> I've been using PostgreSQL 7.3.2.
>
> What, if any, way is there to share a context (global rowtype variable)
> between plpgsql functions ?
>
> Can row types be passed as parameters ?  (I seem to have had trouble
> doing that)
>
> e.g.
>
> A transaction that looks like:
>
> BEGIN;
> select FindContext(5432);
> select SomeRandomFunction('111');
> COMMIT;
>

> The functions would look somthing like:
>
> CREATE or replace FUNCTION FindContext(int4) RETURNS int4 AS
> '
> DECLARE
>     w_key alias for $1;
>     w_context context%ROWTYPE;
> BEGIN
>
>     SELECT INTO w_context * FROM contecxt WHERE key = w_key;
>
>     -- I want to access w_context in a different method
>
>     RETURN 1;
>
> END;
> '
> LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';
>

> CREATE or replace FUNCTION SomeRandomFunction(int4) RETURNS int4 AS
> '
> DECLARE
>     w_stuff alias for $1;
>     w_context context%ROWTYPE; -- ??????????????
> BEGIN
>
>     update sometable set key = w_context.key where yadda = w_stuff;
>
>     RETURN 1;
>
> END;
> '
> LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

elein@varlena.com     Database Consulting     www.varlena.com
PostgreSQL General Bits    http:/www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/
   "Left foot, right foot, left foot, breathe.
   Right foot, left foot, right foot, breathe." --Father Tom