Re: PL/pgSQL manual? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From nolan@celery.tssi.com
Subject Re: PL/pgSQL manual?
Date
List pgsql-novice
> Thanks for the input concerning the functions / triggers. Now I'm still
> kinda lost... Is there a manual etc... For PL/pgSQL? I've been all over
> the documentation for my release (7.2) and I can't find much in the way
> of getting started.=20

Chapter 11 in the Worsley & Drake's "Practical PostgrSQL", from O'Reilly
is a good introduction to pl/pgsql though it doesn't get into trigger
programming in much detail.

The book is based on pgsql 7.1.3 and is thus missing information about
enhancements to pgsql since then.  The challenge to an author is to keep the
book as current as possible while also presenting historical differences for
users on older releases.  The challenge to the publisher is to keep from
being stuck with an inventory of out-of-date books.  :-)

Some of the Oracle PL/SQL books (see the O'Reilly website for examples)
may also be instructive, if one keeps in mind that despite being based
largely upon PL/SQL there appears to be some fundamental differences between
PL/SQL and pl/pgsql.  Pl/pgsql seems to make it easier to use the
pgsql backend to use SQL structure for manipulating variables, for example.
--
Mike Nolan