Re: No flamefest please, MySQL vs. PostgreSQL AGAIN - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Michael A Nachbaur
Subject Re: No flamefest please, MySQL vs. PostgreSQL AGAIN
Date
Re: No flamefest please, MySQL vs. PostgreSQL AGAIN  (Andrew Sullivan <andrew@libertyrms.info>)
Re: No flamefest please, MySQL vs. PostgreSQL AGAIN  (timeless postgres <pvspam-postgres@hacklab.net>)
List pgsql-admin
On Tuesday 13 May 2003 11:36 am, Will LaShell wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 05:08, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> > > I wouldn't say they are your only options. there is the rserv code in
> > > contrib which I've seen people post they have gotten working. There is
> > The contrib/rserv code does indeed work for some people, and it is
> > useful.  It is nowhere close to handling large volumes, but for fewer
> > than a few thousand writes an hour, it seems to be good.
>
> I'd like to put my two cents in on this one.  We use rserv on our
> cluster here, and we do a few hundred writes every 2 minutes. The
> biggest thing that will cause slowdowns with rserv is not indexing the
> replication id field.  If there is an index for that it should work
> fine.

I tried rserv with a database that has over 1000 inserts per minute, and it
would just sit there for days at the "Preparing snapshot" (on a
Dual-Xeon/2GHz).  I hadn't tried indexing the id column though.

> I do have some rudimentary documentation on how we did it all, and I
> suppose I should really get that sent in.

Yes, Please, the documentation out there could definitely be improved with
some other case studies.