Re: fomatting an interval - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: fomatting an interval
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 11:49:23PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Joseph Shraibman <joseph@xtenit.com> writes:

>     * src/include/catalog/pg_proc.h: Add missing pg_proc entry for
>     interval_scale().  The lack of this entry causes interval rounding
>     not to work as expected in 7.3, for example SELECT
>     '18:17:15.6'::interval(0) does not round the value.  I did not
>     force initdb, but one is needed to install the added row.
>
> We could backpatch this into the 7.3 branch, but it would only help
> people who recompiled *and* re-initdb'd from the 7.3.3 sources.  I
> thought at the time it'd just create confusion to do that.  I'm willing
> to listen to other opinions though ...

Given that recompiling and adding the new tuple into pg_proc by means of
a simple INSERT(*) should be enough, it's hardly necessary to force an
initdb.  Much less if there are not too many complaints, and a forced
initdb would force a dump/restore cycle that no one would like.

(*) It _can_ be done, right?

"Everybody understands Mickey Mouse. Few understand Hermann Hesse.
Hardly anybody understands Einstein. And nobody understands Emperor Norton."