Re: Constraint Syntax Question - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Peter and Sarah Childs
Subject Re: Constraint Syntax Question
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Sunday 11 May 2003 23:17, Adam Sherman wrote:
> I have a many-to-many relationship between A & B where a B *must* relate to
> at least 1 A but an A may have zero Bs.
>
> How do add this using an ALTER TABLE statement?
You can't postgres enforces that the foreign key must be unique. so

ALTER TABLE B ADD CONSTRAINT bafk FOREIGN KEY (key) REFERENCES A(key);

looks like it should work by A(key) must be unique so you will get an error.
I think that this is probably bad database design and you need to get you
database into 1st normal form hense getting read of any many to many
relations by removing any many to many relations. Find a good book on
database design.I hope that helps

Peter Childs