Re: Pg_hba and dynamic dns - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Hans Spaans
Subject Re: Pg_hba and dynamic dns
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 09:51:54AM -0400, Randall Perry wrote:
> Ok, those are valid points.
>
> What I'm trying to do is get access to the db for clients who are on the
> road using connections with dynamic IPs, from a PC running an MS Access db
> app. Dynamic DNS would have been an easy solution.
>
> Any ideas how to achieve this in other ways?

Don't do it. You need to look in another direction, because your
design is pretty lame. My design would be to use something like IPsec
to create a VPN between client and a router. This way all traffic is
encrypted, your ACL's aren't dynamic and you can safely control and
account who is accessing the data. This because the client becomes
part from the network.

Another suggestion, but proberly would cost more on the short term
and proberly will safe money on the long term is to build a 100%
webapp. This also can be safe by granting access based on SSL-keys and
username/password.

--
Hans