Re: Postgresql goes down need to restart (redhat postgresql service script) lock files removal avoid 2 postmasters - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From mlaks
Subject Re: Postgresql goes down need to restart (redhat postgresql service script) lock files removal avoid 2 postmasters
Date
In response to Re: Postgresql goes down need to restart (redhat postgresql service script) lock files removal avoid 2 postmasters  (Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to>)
Responses Re: Postgresql goes down need to restart (redhat postgresql service script) lock files removal avoid 2 postmasters  (Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to>)
List pgsql-admin
Thank you for your response Bruno. I agree about the importance of using the
lines

#!/bin/sh
exec 2>&1
exec setuidgid postgres /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D
/usr/local/pgsql/data

in the run file. However, what else must we put in as well?

My question is to understand the lock files for postgresql so I can deal with
the following:

1.

I notice that Lamar's postgresql service script removes "stale lock files"
before starting postgresql by using the line

rm -f /tmp/.s.PGSQL.* > /dev/null

and perhaps my own experience indicates we also should add a line

rm -f /var/lib/pgsql/data/postmaster.pid

because sometimes when my machine crashes and gets rebooted I must manually
remove that file.

2.

Moreover, I  see that after successfully starting postgresql Lamar touches a
file

touch /var/lock/subsys/postgresql

and does this

echo $pid > /var/run/postmaster.pid

so how can we do that?

3.

I can imagine we can accomplish 1. with

#!/bin/sh
rm -f /tmp/.s.PGSQL.* > /dev/null
rm -f /var/lib/pgsql/data/postmaster.pid
exec 2>&1
exec setuidgid postgres /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D
/usr/local/pgsql/data

but how do we do 2. -> the touching and echoing after the process starts if we
have replaced the "run" process by the postmaster process with the exec so
that the daemontools "svc" can control the process?

Mitchell