Re: Database server restarting - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Database server restarting
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tuesday 06 May 2003 14:25, Nigel J. Andrews wrote:
> On Tue, 6 May 2003, shoaib wrote:
> > When I login a console, I can see the prompt but after typing in login
> > name system just don't respond it does not come to password prompt.
>
> You may have to wait a long time which isn't very good because a) by the
> time the system has enough resources to proceed with your log in it's not
> in the same state it was in at the problem time (obviously) and b) the
> login process may well timeout the login attempt before it even gets to the
> stage of asking for the password.

I have two suggestions for OP, if he is interested in experimenting with
alternatives, assuming problems is with heavy DB process.

1) Try freeBSD4.8 and postgresql from ports. I have a gut feeling that BSD
would be more responsive under heavy disk load than linux. No concrete
evidence.. just a gut feeling..

2) Try a latest kernel.. I suggest you get 2.4.20 from kernel.org and apply
patches from http://members.optusnet.com.au/ckolivas/kernel/. Just get the
base patch that includes O(1), pre-empt and low-latency.. That should be good
enough..

Basically with either of these, the irresponsiveness that you are facing
should be gone and you should be able to debug the problem..

 HTH

 Shridhar