Re: Query Priority - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Query Priority
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 01:55:01PM +0100, Peter Childs wrote:
>     Is there some way to give some postgres backends higher priority.
> Hence on a very busy server "important" queries get done faster than less
> priority that unimportant queries.

No.

>     I don't think this would be too difficult to do as certainly on
> Linux the process could just be reniced and the os left to figure it out.
> of course any query that is holding up another query with locks needs to
> get done quickly.

It's the latter condition that causes the problem for the nice-ing
(among other things -- there's plenty of discussion about this in the
archives.  Tom Lane gave a quite long explanation one time, but I
can't find it right now.)

>     I find my self with a database thats slowed to a craw because of a
> slow batch program it not letting the gui clients the speed they require
> to be usable.

Sounds like what you really need is a replica database which you can
use for batch reports, &c.  You could do this with a small-ish box,
because you'd only have one client.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110