Re: Fwd: Unicode, RedHat Linux, & PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Troy
Subject Re: Fwd: Unicode, RedHat Linux, & PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-sql
Vernon,

The language doesn't matter when using CJK (Chinese/Japanese/Korean)
data. The important issue is encoding. All language specific processing
is best done in your own custom functions or in the calling program.
In my experience locales can be messy and cause problems, unless
you only use a single language and encoding for everything.

Probably the best encoding to use is UTF-8. If your data is in real
unicode, you need to convert it to UTF-8. The problem with unicode and
most legacy systems is that there can be 0x00 bytes within the data.
UTF-8 doesn't have this problem.

Be aware that your programming environment (java for example) or
OS could have a slightly modified version of Unicode/UTF-8, so you
need to take that into consideration when transfering data between
systems. As far as I know, only the 0x00 is processed differently.
You need to check this out for your specific environments.

I hope that helps.

Troy