Re: Storing sequence numbers for later use - Mailing list pgsql-general

From elein
Subject Re: Storing sequence numbers for later use
Date
List pgsql-general
Of course you can do this.  currval is a function, though,
and so it needs to be executed in a selection.

create table foo ( one serial PRIMARY KEY , foo text );
create table bar ( one integer references foo (one), bar text );
create table boo ( one integer references foo (one), boo text );

drop trigger foobarboo on foo;
create or replace function footrig ()
returns TRIGGER as
'
DECLARE
   myseq integer;
BEGIN
   select into myseq currval( ''foo_one_seq''::text );
   insert into bar (one, bar) values (myseq, NEW.foo || ''bar'' );
   insert into boo (one, boo) values (myseq, NEW.foo || ''boo'' );
   RETURN NEW;
END;

' language 'plpgsql';

create trigger foobarboo after insert on foo for each row
execute procedure footrig();

elein@varlena.com

elein@varlena.com     Database Consulting     www.varlena.com