Re: killing idle instances - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: killing idle instances
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 11:09:41AM -0400, Johnson, Shaunn wrote:

> A few nights ago, I was in the middle of building a new
> table when I noticed that there were a lot of idle instances
> and my table was waiting to be built (I believe the message
> statement was WAITING or the like).

The simple <idle> transactions wouldn't cause anyboy to wait.
Something must've been inside a transaction.

> I am looking at the log file for PG and see a lot of  'BackendStartup:
> forked pid=### socket=XXX'  messages and I wonder if I
> did the right thing.

That's the connections coming in.  Totally normal if you have the
right sort of logging options turned on.

> My question:  Should I *not* kill idle processes even though they
> my interfere with building / modifying tables?  What are the
> ramifications for such an act?

Truly idle (i.e. not in a transaction) processes shouldn't cause a
problem such as you describe.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110