Re: Solaris - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Solaris
Date
Re: Solaris  (Richard Welty <rwelty@averillpark.net>)
Re: Solaris  (Mark Kirkwood <markir@paradise.net.nz>)
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday 23 April 2003 20:33, Ian Harding wrote:
> I am running my PostgreSQL database on a Dell PowerEdge 2400.  What,
> advantages/disadvantages are there to learning Solaris and migrating my
> stuff over to the coffee table machine?  Does the Dell fall under the
> heading of "cheap" (crummy) hardware that Tom alluded to causing corruption
> issues?

Dell server might be good enough for most tasks but if the sun machine is 64
bit, then you have a significant advantage there. Besides they should be bit
more robust(Sorry, this is absolute wild shot. Have no idea about specs of
any of these two machines.)

Just one real advice, from what I have heard on lists. If the sun machine
supports, install linux rather than solaris. Apparently linux on sparc is far
faster than solaris, at least at lower to middle end. Besides postgresql and
solaris have had performance issues in past.

 Shridhar