Re: Solaris - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Welty
Subject Re: Solaris
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 20:44:02 +0530 Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar@persistent.co.in> wrote:
> Just one real advice, from what I have heard on lists. If the sun
> machine
> supports, install linux rather than solaris. Apparently linux on sparc
> is far
> faster than solaris, at least at lower to middle end. Besides postgresql
> and
> solaris have had performance issues in past.

investigate OpenBSD and NetBSD as well (although if the Sun has multiple
processors, which is likely with an E, OpenBSD is no longer a candidate due
to lack of SMP support.) the *BSD systems are generally very stable and
reliable, and have a couple of advantages over Linux in a number of
situations.

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty@averillpark.net