Re: Are we losing momentum? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ian Barwick
Subject Re: Are we losing momentum?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thursday 17 April 2003 13:35, Nigel J. Andrews wrote:

> I hate to join in this thread but...

me too, but I am suffering from a bout of MySQL :-(

(...)
> Just my own view. People say MySQL is easy and PostgreSQL is difficult to
> learn. I say PostgreSQL is easy and MySQL is difficult to learn.

Having had to use MySQL seriously for the first time for a long time, I am finding
it makes the easy things (appear) easy and the difficult things impossible.
For example, AUTO_INCREMENT is easy to set up and use, but
is a toy feature compared to real sequences...

> And as for it being maintenance free while a regular vacuum is something
> too difficult a concept for people to grasp. Well, what do these
> maintenance free MySQL folk do with the regular tasks that MySQL needs run?

This is what MySQL recommends:
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Maintenance_regimen.html

How about repackaging VACUUM as a "database defragmentation
utility"?  After all many many people have come to accept
disk defragmenters as an essential part of their OS ;-)

Ian Barwick
barwick@gmx.net