Re: Are we losing momentum? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From ow
Subject Re: Are we losing momentum?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> BTW, DB2 doesn't have 'em [cross-db queries] either.
> In DB2, you can of course have cross-schema queries but no cross-db
> queries, unless you rig up the federated functionality to connect one
> db to the other.

A while ago I was at a client who wanted to migrate to DB2 and this
questions was raised during discussions with IBM. There was a way to do
this, if I remember correctly the solution involved creating views for
all tables from db2 that you wanted to use in db1 and maybe something
else. Can't tell you for sure, I'm not working with DB2.

Oracle, Sybase, Ms, Informix (? AFAIK) , mySql, they all support
cross-db queries.

Anyway, I thought it was important to bring this up. With large number
of apps and large amount of data having everything in one db is a sure
way for disaster, IMHO.