Re: Tech Docs and Consultants - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Tech Docs and Consultants
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wednesday 16 Apr 2003 8:05 am, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> I would rather put it this way. You don't know CVS, fine. Create a document
> in a standard software. Anything that supports, header1-header3, table of
> contents, lists and bullets and some images is enough. A group of person
> will take care of publishing the document.
>
> Does not sound biased in any sense. Does it?
>
> I suggested latex/lyx beecause I found that it offers maximum amount of
> productivity with minimum external dependecies. If there are any other
> choices which are a portable and easy, I don't mind, as long as they
> satisfy basic requierments I mentioned above.
>
> I am replying to this post after I finished all the threads on this topic.
> Frankly I am not sure what is the final decision. All I know, is I want to
> contribute. Please tell me how can I do it. I would like to undercommit and
> overperform, to make sure that I do what I would commit.

Replying to list and others who offered to help on techdocs (sorry if I missed
you, this has been a long thread)

Right - how about this as a stop-gap.

1. Shridhar, myself and anyone else who is prepared to volunteer take
responsibility for converting docs in whatever format into standard HTML and
posting them on the site.
2. Responsibilty rotates with an "updates officer" and a backup person, one
week per volunteer.
3. We set a 3-day turnaround for new submissions.
4. The two of us put together some template documents so people can cut and
paste sections for: Word, OpenOffice, LyX, HTML. Templates to be available as
of Friday 25th.
5. Submissions are dealt with by email to advocacy/docs/some other address.

Josh takes a few weeks (4-8?) to investigate options and come up with a better
solution. Once a good option is identified, volunteers are sought for
whatever roles are required.

Any good?

--
  Richard Huxton