Re: Upgrade woes - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: Upgrade woes
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Tuesday 15 April 2003 11:28, Tom Lane wrote:
> Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
> > Tom, if he was running 7.2.x prior, the initscript is programmed to
> > prevent starting postmaster if the database structure is too old.

> Hardly necessary --- the postmaster itself checks that, too.  If he was
> able to start the postmaster then he doesn't have a version problem.

In theory.

In any case, had he upgraded to 7.3.x prior to the RHL8.0 to RHL9 upgrade, why
did he receive any errors?  The OS upgrade process for Red Hat Linux, as you
well know, involves shutting the database system down prior to rebooting with
the OS CD.  So the very fact that there were any errors upon initial restart
is disturbing to me, even if he was on 7.3.x prior to his RHL9 upgrade.

Now if I just had a sacrificial RHL8.0 machine to test this with....
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio