Re: Batch replication ordering (was Re: [GENERAL] 32/64-bit - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Batch replication ordering (was Re: [GENERAL] 32/64-bit
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 06:34:53PM -0400, Jan Wieck wrote:

> A) You apply those changes in the order you read them out of the master
> on the slave. This requires that you do it all in one big transaction on

> B) You read all the changes across all tables, but regroup them into
> their correct order and original transaction boundaries for playback on

> B2) You read all the changes across all tables simultaneously via
> cursors. Worst case you need as many cursors as you have tables and it's

What I am confused about is why one needs to apply now-superseded
transactions on the slave at all.  Don't you just want a
(serializable, mind) snapshot of the master to be applied to the
slave?

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110