Re: Anyone working on better transaction locking? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Anyone working on better transaction locking?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sunday 13 April 2003 09:47, you wrote:
> Even if you'd gain as much as a 10% speed improvement by using threads
> to handle concurrent sorts and such instead of processes (an
> improvement that is likely to be very difficult to achieve), I think
> you're still going to be better off using processes.  To justify the
> dangers of using threads, you'd need to see something like a factor of
> two or more gain in overall performance, and I don't see how that's
> going to be possible even on systems with very heavyweight processes.

I couldn't agree more.

There is just a corner case to justify threads. Looking around, it would be a
fair assumption that on any platforms threads are at least as fast as
processes. So using threads it is guarenteed that "sub-work" will be lot more
faster.

Of course that does not justify threads even in 5% of cases. So again, no
reason to use threads for sort etc. However the subprocesses used should be
simple enough. A process as heavy as a full database connection might not be
too good.
Shridhar