Re: Batch replication ordering (was Re: [GENERAL] 32/64-bit - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Batch replication ordering (was Re: [GENERAL] 32/64-bit
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 07:32:15PM -0600, Ed L. wrote:
> I appreciate your pointing that out.  It is pretty undesirable for data to
> appear on the slave in an order different from the one in which it appears
> on the master.  I guess that's another downside to batching.  I'm not sure
> this approach can do any better than approximating the order since there is
> no knowledge of the commit order.

I know this will probably require more work than you'd like, but it
seems like it might be very useful/important for the replication queue
to have definitive information about when commits occur.

BTW, I don't know how this would apply to pgsql, but both DB2 and Oracle
handle replication via the transaction logs. AFAICT they don't keep
seperate replication tables or anything; they just ship whole
transaction logs off to the slaves (a bit of a simplification, but my
point is that all the data the slaves get is in the form of the
transaction logs that are normally kept by the master anyway).
--
Jim C. Nasby (aka Decibel!)                    jim@nasby.net