Re: [HACKERS] Speed of SSL connections; cost of renegotiation - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Sean Chittenden
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Speed of SSL connections; cost of renegotiation
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
> >> From sshd(8):
>
> >      -k key_gen_time
> >              Specifies how often the ephemeral protocol version 1 server key
> >              is regenerated (default 3600 seconds, or one hour).
>
> Hmmm.  But a server key isn't the same as a session key, is it?  Is this
> an argument for renegotiating session keys at all?

The server and client can kick off a key renegotiation.  Generally
it's left up to the client from what I can tell.  The key specified
above is the public key used before the session is encrypted so that
makes sense to rekey... once encrypted though, I don't think it's
necessary to rekey that often.  10MB would likely be a nice and
conservative level that should be outside of the scope of most
PostgreSQL transactions.  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden