Re: question about visibilty while updating multiple rows . - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Rajesh Kumar Mallah
Subject Re: question about visibilty while updating multiple rows .
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Wednesday 09 Apr 2003 8:42 pm, Tom Lane wrote:
> > If an update statement is affecting multiple rows of a table X ,
> > Does a subselect (selecting from X only)  inside EXISTS part of outer
> > query able to see the changes when rows are being updated one by one by
> > outer query?
>
> No, because it's part of the same query.
>
> I believe though that a user-defined function called from the update
> query would see the changes made so far.  So possibly you can fix your
> problem by pushing the EXISTS down into a SQL or plpgsql function.

Thanks for the explanation and suggestion Tom,
I did it however by using intermediate tables and distinct on().

Regds
Mallah.

>             regards, tom lane

Rajesh Kumar Mallah,
Project Manager (Development)
Infocom Network Limited, New Delhi
phone: +91(11)6152172 (221) (L) ,9811255597 (M)

Visit http://www.trade-india.com ,
India's Leading B2B eMarketplace.