Database Dezign for begginers - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Juraj Fedel
Subject Database Dezign for begginers
Date
List pgsql-general
    For some time now I have been learning SQL and hopefully learned
some basic commands. Now I would like to learn even more about databases. I
wonder if there is some info about how to dezign database on the net (some
kind of tutorial or book available for download).
    Since I do not know much about databases I do not know how to ask a
question. The rest of letter is just an example of what issues I have
trouble with.

    Now I am trying to make some kind of addresbook (very originall isn't it?)
But I do not know how to store a mail address (well for frieds from my
country I could think of some shema, butt problems beggin when I want to add
addresses from foreing country). There are many variable data
in address that are needed:
- name (this is easy: familyname and name)
- street and house number - here start the problems: for addresses in my
village the two fields are enough for this, but what for cities where
smoetimes one line for street is not sufficient (You need to add part of
citie name) or in some very small villages there is no streets at all only
house number
- city and zipcode (this are very different in different country)
- country (some country consist of many states some do not, some have
republics, district or/and other subentities ...)
    And I am sure I did not all possibilities that can occur here. Now
As I thing about it even the name is not as simple as I think: one can have
title in front of the name , or after the name or more than one title ....
    What I can not decide is if all this data shuld be in one table or
how many of them?

    This was only my thinking writen to explain what I do not know. And
since I do not kknow how to make one adressbook I gues there is much more
issues about database I am not even aware of.
    Maybe if there are some free databases shemas that I could examine
and learn from them?
    Any info would be very helpfull.
Thanks