Question abour PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Meskes
Subject Question abour PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

I'm currently writing parts of a database migration howto for a
governmental unit in Germany in which they want to list pros and
cons of open source database systems especially when migrating from
MS-SQL but also from other proprietary dbms.

Since we do not have the best possible start condition I'd like to get
some feedback, info, links, etc. from you guys on the following
question instead of only answering from my knowledge:

- Synchronisation

- High-availability with PostgreSQL
 Not that big a deal technically if you have a shared storage of course, but with different storage we of course get
intothe sync topic. Add load balancing and we need master-master ...

- Scalability
 In particular benchmarks

- Transaction control
 Note, that the alternatives are ALL OSS dbms, so it surely makes sense to compare approaches and I for one never had a
SAPDB to test with.

 I once had a good link explaining MS SQL deficits in teh locking area, but cannot find it right now.

- Backup and recovery

- Distributed systems

- Distributed databases

- Field of application