Re: feature request - adding columns with default value - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Wayne Armstrong
Subject Re: feature request - adding columns with default value
Date
List pgsql-general
** Reply to message from Dennis Gearon <gearond@cvc.net> on Fri, 04 Apr 2003
08:19:24 -0800
Yeah,
 Db2 does.
 The reall usefulness of this is the form :-
  Alter table add blah varchar(10) not null default 'No'

  The backend appears to initialise the new column to the default value (just
about instantly - even for large tables), and you can add  a not null column to
the table in one statement.

  Regards,
  Wayne