Re: can i make this sql query more efficiant? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Franco Bruno Borghesi
Subject Re: can i make this sql query more efficiant?
Date
List pgsql-sql
if you're allowed to change the resultset structure, you could do:
SELECT  event,  level,   count(*)
FROM  baz
GROUP BY  event,  level;
event | level | count
-------+-------+-------x     |     1 |     1x     |     2 |     1x     |     3 |     1y     |     2 |     1y     |
3|     2
(5 rows)

of course it doesn't show you the rows where the count is zero.
if you need the zeros, do this

SELECT     EL.event,  EL.level,   count(baz.*)
FROM  (     SELECT DISTINCT        B1.event, B2.level      FROM         baz B1         CROSS JOIN baz B2  ) EL  LEFT
JOINbaz ON (baz.event=EL.event AND baz.level=EL.level)
GROUP BY  EL.event,  EL.level;
event | level | count
2|     1y     |     3 |     2
(6 rows)