Re: Problem to add a delay to a date - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: Problem to add a delay to a date
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Thierry Missimilly wrote:

> I try to create a function in charge of adding a delay to a timestamp.
> Here are the stange results on Postgres 7.3.1.
> working with psql :
>
> test=# select now() + '60' as time;
>                 time
> --------------------------------------
> 2003-03-24 16:04:53.8680551+01
> (1 row)
>

> and when i want to create a function :
>
> test=# create function addtime() returns timestamp as 'select now() +
> ''60'' ' language 'sql';
> ERROR: return type mismatch in function: declared to return timestamp
> without time zone, returns timestamp with time zone

The addition works fine in both cases, but the type of now() + '60' isn't
the same type you defined the function to return.  now() returns a
"timestamp with time zone" not a "timestamp without time zone" (which is
what timestamp is).  You should be able to just change the return type to
match.