Re: Forcing use of indexes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pedro Alves
Subject Re: Forcing use of indexes
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 09:52:19AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Pedro Alves <pmalves@think.pt> writes:
> > 1. I run the same query (select blah ... order by foo limit bar) in 2
> > "virtualy" identical machines, both having postgres v7.3.2. The database is
> > the same (the amount of data is a bit diferent) and machine A has (much)
> > more shared buffers than Machine B; postgres uses indexes in B but not in
> > A. If I change the limit from 200 to 100, machine A starts using indexes.
> > In machine B, the optimizer only stops using indexes in limit 800. Why does
> > this happen? Is there any memory parameter that controles this behaviour?
>
> Have you vacuum analyzed recently on both machines?

  Yep, in both machines

> shared_buffers doesn't affect the estimated cost of an indexscan.
> effective_cache_size does, also random_page_cost, but you didn't mention
> having touched those.

  No, I didn't

> > 3. I have a composite index in columns foo and bar and an index in foo. I
> > noticed that making a query such as select * from table where foo=1 and
> > bar=2, postgres correctly uses foo_bar_idx. But if I use select * from
> > table where foo=1 and bar IN (1,2), posgtres uses foo_idx, having much more
> > inneficiency.
>
> Presently, you'd need an index on (bar,foo) to get a good plan for a
> query expressed that way.

  Thats what I meant when I said 'I have a composite index in columns foo
and bar'. In the second query, it doesn't this index.

  Thanks

--
Pedro Miguel G. Alves           pmalves@think.pt
THINK - Tecnologias de Informação   www.think.pt