Re: stored procedure - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: stored procedure
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 09:36:28 -0500,
  Peter Choe <choepete@mindspring.com> wrote:
> is there a listing of the built in procedure and what they do?  i did
> 'select * from pg_proc' and got the names, but i don't know what they
> actually do.
>
> what i am looking for is some random character generator function.  is
> there anything like that in postgres?

There is a random function which you could use to get character data
(using a table lookup if nothing else). I wouldn't use that random
number generator for anything security related where the cost of
failure is high. It also might not be suitable for some kinds of
data analysis.