ext3 filesystem / linux 7.3 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Shankar K
Subject ext3 filesystem / linux 7.3
Date
List pgsql-performance
hi there,

I was reading bruce's 'postgresql hardware performance
tuning' article and he has suggested ext3 filesystem
with data mode = writeback for high performance.

I would really appreciate if anyone could share your
experiences with ext3 from a production stand point or
any other suggestions for best read/write performance.

Our applications is an hybrid of heavy inserts/updates
and DSS queries.

version - postgres 7.3.2
hardware - raid 5 (5 x 73 g hardware raid), 4g ram, 2
* 2.8 GHz cpu, redhat 7.3

Note : we don't have the luxury of raid 1+0 (dedicated
disks) for xlog and clog files to start with but may
be down the line we might look into those options, but
for now i've planned on having them on local drives
rather than raid 5.

thanks for any inputs,
Shankar