Re: Changing behavior of BEGIN...sleep...do something...COMMIT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Changing behavior of BEGIN...sleep...do something...COMMIT
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Doug McNaught wrote:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>
> > Accordingly, it's a bad idea to invent now('clock') and make it the
> > same function as the other flavors.  We could get away with making
> > now('transaction') and now('statement') ---- but the argument for this
> > was consistency, and that argument pretty much falls flat if those two
> > are one function while clock time is something else.
> >
> > So I'm back in the camp of thinking three separate parameterless
> > functions are the way to do it.  We already know what now() does,
> > and we're not going to change it --- anyone want to propose names
> > for the other two?
>
> Maybe clock_time() and statement_time(), with transaction_time() an
> alias for now() (if that's seemed necessary)?

Agreed on the need to not use args for now().

We already have CURRENT_TIMESTAMP.  Would CLOCK_TIMESTAMP,
TRANSACTION_TIMESTAMP, and STATEMENT_TIMESTAMP make sense, with
CURRENT_TIMESTAMP being the same as TRANSACTION_TIMESTAMP?

Pennsylvania19073