Re: PostgreSQL and SOAP, version 7.4/8.0 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From cbbrowne@cbbrowne.com
Subject Re: PostgreSQL and SOAP, version 7.4/8.0
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jason wrote:
> If you can support xmlrpc instead, you'll save yourself a lot of headaches.

XML-RPC has three merits over SOAP:
1.  It's a simple specification, and thus readily implemented.
2.  Microsoft and IBM aren't fighting over control over it, so it's    not suffering from the "we keep adding
pseudo-standardsto it"    problem.  (Which further complicates the specifications.)    You can have a /complete/
implementationof XML-RPC, whereas,    for SOAP, you can hold ghastly long arguments as to what SOAP    means, anyways.

3.  There's a (perhaps not "standard", but definitely widely    implemented) scheme for bundling multiple XML-RPC
requestsinto    one message, which improves latency a LOT for small messages.

Of course, CORBA has actually been quite formally standardized, suffers
from many fairly interoperable implementations, and is rather a lot less
bloated than any of the XML-based schemes.  It might be worth trying,
too...
--
If this was helpful, <http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=cbbrowne> rate me
http://cbbrowne.com/info/soap.html