Re: A bad behavior under autocommit off mode - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: A bad behavior under autocommit off mode
Date
Re: A bad behavior under autocommit off mode  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
How about sending an INFO or special taged message to the client when
there is a GUC change, and have report_changes as a GUC variable that
controls it?

Tom Lane wrote:
> > And where does it stop?  There are about a dozen GUC variables that will
> > break an application as a whole if they don't have the value expected by
> > the application.  Do we need to install guards against all of these?
>
> The issue in my mind is not what will break an application, but what
> will break a client-side library.  The application knows, in some sense,
> what settings it has selected -- either because it did explicit SETs or
> because it's coded expecting certain values to be supplied via the GUC
> default mechanisms.  And the server knows what values have been set,
> too.  But the client-side library is out of the loop.  We need to bring
> it into the loop, at least for the values it needs to know about (and
> yes, I agree that that's not a very well-defined set, but we can easily
> set up the protocol to allow an expansible set of variables to be
> transmitted).
>
> I think that "don't do that" is not an acceptably robust solution.
> Building software that falls over because someone exercised a perfectly
> legitimate feature of another part of the system just isn't my idea of
> the way to build stuff.  We've had to put up with some cases of that
> because we didn't want to change the protocol to fix it --- but now is
> our opportunity to fix it.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Pennsylvania19073