Re: fairly current mysql v postgresql comparison need for advocacy - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: fairly current mysql v postgresql comparison need for advocacy
Date
List pgsql-general
On Monday 24 Mar 2003 8:22 pm, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
> I'm getting beaten up by the mysql users around me because they claim
> that MySQL 4.x with InnoDB solves all of the ACID problems, so Pg no
> longer pulls clearly ahead.
>
> Has anyone examined this closely so that I have some nice things to
> say about Pg instead?

Yes.. Plenty of them..

* subselects in updates/deletes
* stored procedures
* stored procedures in different language
* ability to create different languages
* inheritance
* speed with transactions( Contrary to populer myth, mysql with transactions
is not at all faster than postgresql
* ability to survive large number of connections
* wealth of data types( Mysql has type to store network addresses?)
* ability to create user defined data types..

So on and so forth..

> Also, has anyone done a MySQL 4.x v Pg 7.{2,3}.x comparison recently?
> All of the comparisons I saw in google were older.

I suggest you do it if you have the setup. The community needs the results
anyway..

 Shridhar