pgsql-server/doc/src/sgml/ref select.sgml - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From momjian@postgresql.org (Bruce Momjian - CVS)
Subject pgsql-server/doc/src/sgml/ref select.sgml
Date
List pgsql-committers
CVSROOT:    /cvsroot
Module name:    pgsql-server
Changes by:    momjian@postgresql.org    03/03/20 14:00:01

Modified files:
    doc/src/sgml/ref: select.sgml

Log message:
    The documentation for SELECT is incorrect in a sense: the syntax for a
    join is defined as:

    from_item [ NATURAL ] join_type from_item
    [ ON join_condition | USING ( join_column_list ) ]

    However, if the join_type is an INNER or OUTER join, an ON, USING, or
    NATURAL clause *must* be specified (it's not optional, as that segment
    of the docs suggest).

    I'm not exactly sure what the best way to fix this is, so I've attached
    a patch adding a FIXME comment to the relevant section of the SGML. If
    anyone has any ideas on the proper way to outline join syntax, please
    speak up.