Re: cursors outside transactions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: cursors outside transactions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I think (1) is fine.  When I used Informix, we did lots of huge cursors
that we pulled from for reports, and they consumed huge amounts of RAM
before we could do a fetch --- and we expected that.  It doesn't seem
worth adding complexity to avoid that, especially since even if (2) was
done, there would be downsides to it.

One question is how sensitive these cursors should be.  Actually,
looking at the DECLARE manual page, I see:
thatdata retrievedfrom the cursor should be unaffected by updates from other processes or cursors.Since cursor
operationsoccur within transactionsin <productname>PostgreSQL</productname> this is always the case.This keyword has no
effect.     </para>     </listitem>    </varlistentry>

which seems inaccurate.  Surely we see commits of other transactions
during our multi-statement transaction in the default READ COMMITTED
isolation level, so why do the docs say insensitive is meaningless for
us?  Does sensitivity only apply outside the transaction somehow?

So, my question is how do cursors behave now?  Do they see commits by
other transactions while in a multi-statement transaction?  (1) is
predictable in terms of sensitivity, or at least frozen at commit.

Pennsylvania19073