Re: copying between Postgres databases - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua Moore-Oliva
Subject Re: copying between Postgres databases
Date
List pgsql-general
On March 17, 2003 04:21 am, you wrote:
> Hi;
> I've got two questions:
>
> 1) What is the best way to copy a Postgres table in one database into
> another Postgres database? Is it possible to copy the structure and the
> data at the same time?

I believe that you can use pg_dump to just dump out one table.

> 2) Is there a way to do a short of pg_dump and to use the resulting file as
> input to another database, but preserving existing tables in this latter?

You can also specify the output of pg_dump to be all SQL commands..  and then
only execute the queries in the pg_dump that you want.

I'm not a huge expert on pg_dump myself, but try man pg_dump it should answer
a lot of questions for you.

Josh.