Re: Row vs. tuple - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Sean Chittenden
Subject Re: Row vs. tuple
Date
List pgsql-docs
> > How about:  s/(row|tuple)/record/
>
> We do need two different terms: eliminating the distinction between
> a row and a version of a row is not going to improve matters.
>
> I have nothing against the word "record", but it doesn't seem to
> help clarify this distinction ...

Well, if you want to get cognitive, "old record" likely carries a more
explicit and easy to understand mental picture than "old tuple" or
"version of a row."  I guess the same phrasing could apply to tuple or
row, but record has historically seemed like the easiest term for
people to grasp.

  (new|old)? (record|row|tuple)

It's not a one word zinger, but (new|old)? is just a description for
the entity that the mind has an understanding or conceptupal picture
of.  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden