Re: Non-colliding auto generated names - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Non-colliding auto generated names
Date
List pgsql-patches
Just for confirmation, this patch will not be applied because it would
cause too many problems in accessing the sequence names after the
renaming.  If we get auto-sequence naming, we can revisit this idea.

Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> This patch makes all forms of autogenerated unique, primary key and sequence
> names avoid collisions.  (Well, as much as you can do without "locking" your
> chosen name).
>
> This addresses a long standing annoyance I experience whenever I rename a
> table to table_old and then try to create a table with the same name.  It
> also addresses a concern raised at linux.conf.au.
>
> I suggest that someone inspect the patch to determine if my "overloading" of
> CreateIndexName is appropriate (for sequences, etc.)
>
> All regression tests pass.  The attached SQL script will run fine under the
> patch, whereas before it would have failed miserably.
>
> Chris

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

[ Attachment, skipping... ]