op error no question, but no error warning - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Theodore Petrosky
Subject op error no question, but no error warning
Date
List pgsql-bugs
This isn't all my problem...

I was going through tutorials, and I typed in the
example for inheritance. I had a typo that did not
throw an error and I think it should.

i created the tables from the cities, capitals example
and then tried to insert.

test-db=# insert into capitals (name, population,
state) values ('Trenton', '543565, 'New Jersey');

my typo is the extra single quote before the number. I
received no error message, but of course there was no
insert. I would have assumed that the trailing ';'
would have terminated the insert and if there is an
error, it should have said so.

i am on mac osx 10.2.4 with  PostgreSQL 7.3.2 on
powerpc-apple-darwin6.4, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 3.1
20020420 (prerelease)

Ted