Re: PgHosts - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: PgHosts
Date
List pgsql-general
Actually, we do have that on the client end with pg_service.conf.  It
wasn't documented in current releases but will be in 7.4.  Documentation
is:

     <listitem>
     <para>
      Service name to use for additional parameters.  It specifies a service
      name in pg_service.conf that holds additional connection parameters.
      This allows applications to specify only a service name so connection parameters
      can be centrally maintained.  See
      <filename><replaceable>PREFIX</>/share/pg_service.conf.sample</> for
      information on how to set up the file.
     </para>

I am attaching the pg_services.conf.sample file that will appear in 7.4.
It only does connection params, not schema/table stuff.

Medi Montaseri wrote:
> I posted this question a few days ago when people were talking about PG
> 7.4 (or later)
> features....but I guess it was not posted (processed, etc)...so here it
> is again...
>
> I am wondering if it is possible for Pg to support a feature (as in
> Informix) where
> I can have a host mapping configuration file such that
>
> db = { host, database }
> or
> schema = { host, database, schema}
> or
> table = { host, database, schema, table }
>
> Currently one has to resolve (or switch) at connect time where to
> connect to, but with this
> switching layer, the application can help out a bit on the HA...
>
> Thanks

#
#    Connection configuration file
#
# A service is a set of named connection parameters.  You may specify
# multiple services in this file.  Each starts with a service name in
# brackets.  Subsequent lines have connection configuration parameters of
# the pattern  "param=value".  A sample configuration for template1 is
# included in this file.  If no database name is specified, it is assumed
# to match the service name.  Lines beginning with '#' are comments.
#
# Copy this to your sysconf directory (typically /usr/local/pgsql/etc) and
# rename it pg_service.conf.
#
#
#[template1]