Re: pg and chroot (performance) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: pg and chroot (performance)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 10:58:33AM +0100, Raphael Bauduin wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 09:55:48PM -0500, Neil Conway wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 12:07, Raphael Bauduin wrote:
> > > I planned to let postgresql run in a chroot environment, but I wondered
> > > what could be the impact on performance...
> >
> > Why would you expect chroot to have any significant effect on
> > performance? AFAICS that shouldn't be the case, but I haven't tested it
> > myself...
>
> I read somewhere that all disk access is first checked to be acceptable
> due to the chroot.

That would be a silly way do it. chroot just changes the root directory,
nothing more. It only gets looked at when you use a / at the beginning of a
filename or use .. to go to the parent directory.

Normally you're just chrooted to the real /, so there is no performance
difference compared to chrooting elsewhere.

> Support bacteria! They're the only culture some people have.

Attachment