Re: Can postgresql be run in memory (like a memory resi - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Crawford
Subject Re: Can postgresql be run in memory (like a memory resi
Date
List pgsql-general
If you are looking for performance I think letting the caching in the
OS/PostgreSQL take care of keeping stuff in memory is your best bet. But make
sure that you have given it a chance.

Have you already adjusted the settings in postgresql.conf? The default is to
severely limit the resources used by PostgreSQL so that it will at least
start and run run on as many platforms as possible. It is not set by default
to run as fast as possible.

It is assumed (seemingly often incorrectly given the recent thread on
changing the default configuration) that the administrator will adjust the
settings as appropriate for the capacity/requirements of that specific
installation.

Cheers,
Steve