Re: good style? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Rajesh Kumar Mallah
Subject Re: good style?
Date
List pgsql-sql
this kind of joining has been termed "explicit JOIN syntax"
by pgsql 7.3 docs.

I personally  feel it makes ur SQL look uglier and complicated. i feel the
WHERE caluse shud contain the genuine filters of result set not the ones
which could be a part of JOIN syntax itself. (its personal view though)

you may refer to the DOCs below on postgresqls' website.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/view.php?version=7.3&idoc=1&file=explicit-joins.html

..... excerpt from the docs.........
When a query only involves two or three tables, there aren't many join orders
to worry about. But the number of possible join orders grows exponentially as
the number of tables expands. Beyond ten or so input tables it's no longer
practical to do an exhaustive search of all the possibilities, and even for
six or seven tables planning may take an annoyingly long time. When there are
too many input tables, the PostgreSQL planner will switch from exhaustive
search to a genetic probabilistic search through a limited number of
possibilities. (The switch-over threshold is set by the GEQO_THRESHOLD
run-time parameter described in the PostgreSQL 7.3 Administrator's Guide.)
The genetic search takes less time, but it won't necessarily find the best
possible plan.

regds
mallah.