Re: using PGPASSWORD environment variable - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: using PGPASSWORD environment variable
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 02:54:28PM -0600, James Hall wrote:
> I am trying to write a [perl] script to automate database backups. PG
> requests the password every time I connect to a database. It was suggested
> that I "use PGPASSWORD environment variable, just set it before you execute
> pg_dumpall".

If you are using pg 7.3, store the password in the .pgpass file in
the home directory of the user instead.  It's safer.  Keep in mind
that the environment variable might be exposed to others logged into
the machine.  (If no-one else logs into the machine, why not use
trust for local users?)

But if you must use it, you can just set it at the beginning of the
script:

PGPASSWORD=[yourpasswordhere]
/path/to/pg_dumpall

----