Re: SSL for JDBC - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Tarjei Skorgenes
Subject Re: SSL for JDBC
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 09:40:52AM -0800, Barry Lind wrote:
> Takeo,
>
> There is more work necessary than what you have tried.  Please look at
> the documentation for how the postgres server negotiates a connection
> with the client regarding ssl.
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/view.php?version=7.3&idoc=0&file=protocol-protocol.html#AEN54636
>
> Basically, the connection is initiated with non-ssl and then converted
> to ssl later.  I was just looking at the java ssl API and I don't see a
> way to do this in java.  Does anyone more familiar with java ssl support
> know how you can convert a regular socket connection to ssl after you
> have created and used it?

I tried making this work last year and got it up and running fairly
easy. Never quite got around to clean it up and send inn a patch though.

For those interested the code is available at the following address:

http://home.himolde.no/~tarjeis/jdbc-ssl.tar.gz

The interesting bits is in the org.postgesql.SSLConnection class.

--
Tarjei Skorgenes